Sunday, May 16, 2010

Social Networking Addiction

Living and working in Silicon Valley Network bubble, sometimes I feel overwhelmed.

I mean, I need to know 5W1H of iPhone 4G leak story just to keep up a conversation with coworkers. Everyday I read TechChunch, Gizmodo to maintains my geek/nerdy levels. My phone check my email every 10 minutes. I feel naked when I forget my phone at home. I don't really talk to my friends that much anymore but I consistently review their feeds on facebook. I still know everything happen around them, and sorta participate their life exciting moments by pressing the like button. Oh and of course, sometimes debunk their dirty lies with solid facebook evidences on the wall.

I like how convenient technologies bring us BUT sometimes I really miss the good old days. The joy that you find a great restaurant spontaneously and not from Yelp reviews. The joy that you receive a hand writing card from mail, not hoops & yoyo screaming and dancing on your computer screen. Maybe this is too strict but when thing get done too easily, it's hard to feel the "heart weight" behind it anymore. How would I know you actually care if you spend literally a minute to find a gift on amazon and send it to me?

And all those messages posting on social networking sites looks personal but careless, too. People keep sending out messages on this internet platforms/stages such as express feelings, show off travel photos, and sometimes whatever they eating at the moment. They want to be the celebrities in their social circle, and all their friends suppose to be their fans and press like button on everything they do. I couldn't help but wonder, are they really who they are on the stage? Or they are more like developing an image of how they want people seeing them. You know, like how those beautiful actress legend never need to eat and poop.

I actually been very low key on facebook nowadays since my boss is on it. I don't find a good reason to share my personal life to 3/4 people on my facebook, plus I don't think they care anyway. Ironically, I am complaining about all this but doing exactly the same thing by posting this article on my blog. Though most people won't see it. (Am I less guilty by being anonymous here ?)

I am sure I will be fine from stop reading all those techie forums/being away from facebook and IM. Maybe the only side effect will be quieter on lunch table with coworkers? But since I am wondering if geotagging will be the next trend on social networking (and I really wish that happen), I better keep posted on Techchunch.

Well, I probably need to check my feeds now. I can't believe it's been an hour. ciao.

2 comments:

  1. 我FB上面除了家人以外,朋友寥寥可數,
    好討厭這種虛偽的社交往來喔...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 我也覺得FB超虛偽,不愛張揚的人除了玩遊戲就沒事可作了..
    而且每次我都把隱私權調到最高,他們一改隱私政策就又把我的照片,資料全部打開,要不是工作需要我就把它關掉(怒)

    ReplyDelete